Planning a Wedding & Wedding Budget

My fiancée proposed on Valentines Day, and it was the most romantic moment of my life… Unlike all the other brides, however, I did not jump on planning our wedding right away… Something always came up which required my attention, and I kept putting it off as long as I could… After all, I was never one of those girls who had a wedding binder by the time they were ten… And, thus, I avoided the planning for as long as I could -- I guess, in that sense, I am very un-bridezilla like – but I have procrastinated long enough, and now is the time to start… So, please join me on my journey of wedding planning as I hope to share the tricks -- and “secrets” I uncover along the way -- with those of you who will be some day planning your very own wedding…

First thing first… I was told I have to create my very own Wedding Binder... Ahh, that infamous yet mysterious Wedding Binder…. At the very least, your Wedding Planner should have the following categories:

  1. Your Budget
  2. Checklist & Timeline
  3. Dream Wedding Dress
  4. Guest List
  5. Reception
  6. Ceremony
  7. Photographer
  8. Flowers
  9. Cake
  10. Food
  11. Music
  12. Favors
  13. Invitations
  14. Miscellaneous
It makes sense that the first thing is to set up a budget. If you are not sure what your budget should be, you can obtain some estimates based on your zip code at this site. Mine is something along the lines of “Champagne Wedding on a Beer Budget.” I made a list of what I call “priorities” (things we absolutely must have) and crossed off all the items we personally see as not important to us. For example, there will be no Bridesmaids' Dresses – my bridesmaids will wear whatever they want in any color they want… What is important to me is that everyone has a good time – regardless of what they wear… Am I breaking a tradition? Perhaps… But aren’t all traditions meant to be broken?

*** NOTE: If you have not seen 27 Dresses yet, I highly recommend renting it for all brides-to be…

The bottom line is, budgets are very subjective as they will be based on what kind of wedding you want to have. Will it be a backyard vs. ballroom, big vs. small, summer vs. winter, local vs. destination wedding, etc. Due to the size of our families, we are going to have 2 ceremonies/receptions – one for our families in NYC and one for our friends in the Caribbean. Both will take place in the fall of 2010, which gives us plenty of time to plan…

To be Continued…

No comments: