Carrot Tops Pesto

The other night I came home with a bunch of carrots from the farmer's market. Not surprisingly, they came with a whole bunch of carrot tops. It would've been such a waste to throw away those beautiful deep-green tops, so I googled for recipes. What caught my eye is that you can actually make pesto from your carrot tops, who knew? So tonight I made it and LOVED IT! I would definitely make it again. In fact, why stop there?

Why not to try to make pesto from kale or even other leafy greens. I always look for recipes to use the greens, so I am happy to add this recipe to my collection.

Here is how I made it:

First, I sorted through the greens, throwing away wilted leaves. Then, I cut the leaves off the stems and washed them, changing the water several times. I then boiled the leaves for 1 minutes and drained them (make sure you drain them well, otherwise you'll get a lot of water in your pesto). Pulsed in a food processor with some raw garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. I didn't have any cheese or nuts, so I didn't add those, but it still came out pretty delicious! Use it as a topping for your vegetables, spread it on the bread or eat it with pasta....

No comments: